School attendance for dependant children of international postgraduate students
The dependant children of students studying a Masters by Coursework; Masters by Research and Doctor of Philosophy (can be full fee paying or sponsored) attending UWA can be admitted into government schools that have spare capacity. Admission is on the following basis, as advised by TAFE International Western Australia (TIWA).
Conditions of Entitlement:
- You must be studying a Masters by Coursework; Masters by Research or Doctor of Philosophy.
- Your dependant child(ren) must be physically in the country before a school placement is requested.
- Only public schools approved by the Department of Education will be approached by TIWA.
- You must not approach the government schools directly regarding the enrolment of your dependant.
- You are responsible for meeting the full costs of providing education support if your dependant has a disability or learning difficulty.
- You are responsible for meeting the full tuition costs of providing your dependant with an English as a Second Language program, if considered necessary.
Once your dependant is in Western Australia, you should complete the Request for School Placement of Dependant Child/Children Form and submit it to the University International Officer who will submit it to TIWA to process. Placements for compulsory schooling will receive priority. Kindergarten is NOT compulsory schooling and placements will only be requested when requests for compulsory schooling have been completed.
Students will ideally be placed in a school close to their local address. However due to a high demand for places in Western Australian public schools, the available school may be some distance from the family’s place of residence and may not be near the university. A change of school will only be considered in exceptional circumstances. Should the need arise, the process, as outlined above, must again be followed.