Commonwealth supported places explained

What is a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)?

A Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) is a place in an eligible course at the University in which the Australian government makes a contribution towards the cost of your tuition fees (known as Commonwealth Support). This reduces the amount of tuition fees you are charged. You are liable for the remainder of your fees (known as the student contribution amount).

All domestic undergraduate places at UWA are Commonwealth Supported. UWA offers a limited number of postgraduate Commonwealth Supported Places based on government eligibility criteria requirements.

If you are enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place, you:

  • Are known as a Commonwealth Supported student
  • Have been issued with a Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN),and
  • May be eligible to defer all or part of your student contributions through the loan scheme HECS-HELP. If you are eligible, you must fill out a HECS-HELP form online via studentConnect by the census date of the unit to defer your student contribution amount.

A student contribution payment cannot be accepted after the census date for a unit; however, eligible students who have filled out their HECS-HELP form and provided their Tax File Number (TFN) by the census date will normally have their debt automatically deferred via the HECS-HELP loan scheme. If you complete the HECS-HELP form after the census date, you will not be able to defer payments until the following semester.

Was this answer helpful?