About the scholarship
Application status: Open
Closing date: 4 September 2019
Tenure: Two to three years, subject to the proposed program of study
Number on offer: 17 scholarships are awarded each year
Offer rate: per Annum
Value: up to $120,000 to support study, research, global experience and access to the Leadership Development Program
We're looking for Australia’s best and brightest. Your ability matches your drive – giving you the potential to make a lasting difference to Australia’s future. We want to help you realise this potential.
Eligibility and Academic Requirements
To be eligible to apply, applicants must-
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (New Zealand citizens are not eligible);
- have completed first undergraduate degree within the last 5 years, or will complete by December 2019;
- have achieved or are on track to achieve an average result of H1 or H2A equivalent or approx. 75 WAM;
- have chosen to undertake a full-time Masters by coursework or research or a PhD at one of our participating university partners;
- have a field of study which, for PhD and Masters by research applicants has an ERA four digit FOR rating of "well above world standard" and Masters by coursework applicants, your proposed area of study must be in area of world-class standing;
- commence study in 2020.
Current postgraduate students are not eligible.
Your proposed program of study must contribute to the future of Australia in one of the Foundation's priority funding areas: Technology and Innovation, Strengthening Australia-Asia ties or Enabling Positive Social Change.
Include in your proposed program of study international opportunities which will develop your leadership skills and global networks, such as-
- study tours for the purpose of research, attending a short course or conference, a period of internship or volunteering;
- have a worthy and viable post-study plan that benefits Australia;
- supply two letters of reference, one academic reference and one personal reference;
- be able to attend the National Selection Panel to be held in Sydney on 9-10 December 2019;
- be able to attend the Future Leaders Scholars Leadership Development Program in Sydney on 16-21 February 2020; and
- be able to attend the 2020 Westpac Scholars Summit on 2-3 April 2020.
Do I need academic qualifications to apply for a Scholarship?
- Yes, you must have completed your first undergraduate degree within the last 5 years, or will complete by December 2019. In this degree you must have achieved or are on track to achieve an average result of H1 or H2A equivalent or approx. 75 WAM. You need not have completed an honours year.
- You must now want to undertake a Masters by coursework or research or a PhD at one of our participating university partners.
What fields of study are applicable for the scholarship?
- For PhD and Masters by research applicants only, your proposed area of research must be in a field of research at a Participating University with an Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) four digit Field of Research (FOR) rating of “well above world standard”.
- Exceptions to this will be considered for FOR ERA rating of “above world standard”, provided the university Letter of Support accompanying your application comments on why the area of research should be considered and is above world standing.
For a comprehensive list of FOR codes by university, visit the Australian Research Council’s ERA Outcomes
For Masters by coursework applicants only, your proposed area of study must be in an area “at or above world standard”. This may be demonstrated by drawing on resources from the University or other ranking resources.
Your proposed program of study must contribute to the future of Australia in one of the Foundation's priority funding areas: Technology and innovation, Strengthening Australia-Asia ties or Enabling positive social change.
Help and support
You can find answers to your questions about coursework scholarships and prizes on the University's online help askUWA.
If you can't find the answer to your question, contact our Coursework Scholarships and Prizes Team Telephone: (+61 8) 6488 3834
Every effort has been made to ensure the information we have supplied is correct and up to date. However we strongly advise that you check the scholarship conditions you are applying for and any other information that is available, to ensure you meet the eligibility criteria for any application you might make, and that you understand the implications of any conditions, awarding value and closing dates.