Purchasing insurance for your exchange or study abroad period at UWA

Do I need to purchase insurance for my exchange or study abroad period at UWA?

Answer ID 879 | Last updated on 07/02/2022 01.03 PM

All applicants for an Australian Student Visa (and their dependants) must be covered by acceptable health insurance cover during the whole period of study in Australia by purchasing Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). This is a compulsory Australian government requirement and applies to all international students except where special government arrangements between certain countries are in place (New Zealand, Norway, Belgium and Sweden).

Overseas Student Health Cover cannot be replaced by another policy that is provided by your home university/country. More information about OSHC, including the list of Australian Government-approved providers, can be found on the Private Health web site.

Students coming on a Working Holiday Visa (eligible countries only) will need to take out comparable travel insurance.

Was this answer helpful?